Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yep, I went to PAX this weekend

Those who know me are probably surprised that I would go to an event like PAX. It’s a video game convention and I don’t even own a video game console (Please don’t hold that against me!!). But those who know me well are not surprised by my attendance to PAX. I love doing things that seem “out of character” for me and I like to experience new things. That, and my brother travels to Seattle every year to attend the 3 day event. For the last 3 years, he has invited me to go with him. PAX is always Labor Day weekend, and the Dave Matthews Band always plays at the Gorge Labor Day weekend as well. However, this year I could not afford the yearly pilgrimage to the DMB Mecca to see my favorite band perform, so I thought I would spend some time with my brother in his element. I had a lot of fun. I watched my brother play a bunch of games and I saw some interesting things:

dragon age Dragon Age Booth Guy

TMNT Pic

Yes, it appears that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have a short bus…

Bull Ride

I can’t remember which game this was for, but I thought it was pretty cool to watch some dude ride an evil looking horse.

Nintendo

This is about the only thing I recognized :)

Nurses

Where else can you go dressed like this and not be considered strange?

(Pics courtesy of my rockin’ brother, Cliff)

 

In other news this weekend, I read Catching Fire, book 2 in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Here’s my official review:

IT IS AWESOME!!!

If you’ve read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire is as good if not better. It definitely lives up to all the hype. I HIGHLY recommend reading both books. You will not be disappointed. I’m not going to post a review on my blog, because it seems like everyone else is reviewing it and I don’t have anything else to add that hasn’t already been covered.

Also, today I received my first email from an author who wants me to review his book!!! Yay!!! I’m very excited and can’t wait to get it in the mail.

 

6 comments:

  1. How fun. Did you see anything for World of Warcraft?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shellie-I think I did see a display for WoW. Are you a gamer? Your talents never cease to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you got to go to the PAX event... though I notice the rumors about some people that attended are now positive for swine flu... hope you don't get it!

    May have to add those two S. Collins books to my list.

    How do you arrange to be a book reviewer again? I'd love to give it a shot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome you went to PAX, glad you had fun too!

    Awesome review LOL! I can't wait until I get started on Collins Catching Fire! I have it but haven't got to it yet due to the fact I'm waiting for a friend to get it, then we are going to read it and discuss it together for a book club, woot, woot!

    I have gotten some emails recently too for book reviews, isn't it cool!LOL! I have only really liked one of them so far though and have sent him my mailing stuff, so we will see.

    Did you specify the genres you like? I didn't yet, I just like to see what all they have going. But I wonder though if you do if you'll get more or less emails or maybe more books you'll like?

    Oh, and thank you sooo much for sending an email to Maria! You're AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PAX looks like fun!
    I haven't had a chance to read Catching Fire but I sooooooo want to!! I'm glad to hear that it lives up to the hype.

    Also, there's an award on my blog for you! :)
    http://abookloversdiary.blogspot.com/2009/09/awards-superior-scribbler-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. And congrats on your review offer!! That's awesome! :D
    Receiving books in the mail is addicting.

    ReplyDelete