Monday, February 15, 2010

How I Spent My Valentine’s Day

I know, two blog posts in one day! I’m shocked too!

Valentines’ Day started out as any normal Sunday. I slept in then made breakfast. Then I read a little bit (I’m reading The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. Great book, by the way!). Then I decided to treat myself to a little date of sorts, since I am without a Valentine this year. So I showered, got dressed and checked the movie times for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.

I made my way to the mall and parked my car with about a half hour to spare for the 2pm showing. As I’m walking towards the extremely long line snaking in front of the movie theatre, a voice comes over the loud speaker saying that the 2pm showing of Percy Jackson is sold out. Crap. So I decide to use the Fandango App on my iPhone and buy my ticket for the next showing, which isn’t until 4:10pm. Then I made my way over to the Fandango kiosk and printed out my ticket. No standing in line.

Since I had almost 2 and a half hours to kill, I decided to wander around the mall. I walked thru Macy’s and Old Navy, but without a lot of extra money to spend, this was boring. And it only killed 20 minutes.  I then bought a drink at Orange Julius (blackberry xtreme, yum!!) and made my way down to Borders. I slowly wandered around the store, stopping every so often to pick up a book of interest, reading the back and inside cover, trying desperately to kill as much time as possible. I started to get tired from standing and walking, so I decided to sit in the little cafe in Borders and check my email, which lead to checking my Facebook, which lead to playing Solitaire. After a few games of Solitaire, it occurred to me that my actions screamed “loner” and “this chick can’t find a date on Valentine’s day” so I put away my iPhone and journeyed back to the movie theatre.

By now, I have about 40 minutes until the movie starts so I get in line to get a soda and popcorn (which cost more than my movie ticket!!). The theatre is pretty much empty, so I got to choose whatever seat I want. Soon, though, other people fill the seats around me. Since Percy Jackson is technically a Young Adult book, I am surrounded by children and their parents. To my right was a 4ish year old girl, who during the whole movie kept asking her Grandmother “Where’s Harry Potter?”. To my left was a 10is year old boy, who during the whole movie explained the book to his 8ish year old sister. But the real treat was the group of middle school boys behind me that also talked thru the whole movie and kept kicking the back of my seat. Luckily I’m pretty good at toning out the chatter going on around me, so it didn’t ruin my movie experience…much.

But I made it thru the day! To see my thoughts on Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, click here. I hope your Valentine’s Day was better than mine!!

7 comments:

  1. That's why I always carry a book with me. Never know when you'll have some down time to do some reading...

    That "Where's Harry Potter?" line cracked me up. I probably would've developed a serious twitch sitting around all that commotion...

    For what it's worth, HAPPY BELATED VALENTINES DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Logan-The first time the little girl asked about Harry Potter I cracked up. Then she asked about his whereabouts about a dozen more times throughout the movie. Each time the grandmother patiently explained that Harry Potter was not in this movie, Percy Jackson was.

    Usually I do have a book with me, but I didn't grab it because my intent was to see the movie and leave. Now I know better for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the comment by the girl looking for Harry Potter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal -
    I thought you were married? but hey I loved doing things by myself when I was single.
    Have you read the book yet?
    My best friend loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jenny-The little girl was cute at first, but then she got annoying.

    @Shellie-I am divorced now. I don't mind doing things by myself, but sometimes it's more fun to have a partner in crime.

    Yes I have read the book. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, at least you got to wander around the book store, eh! That's always fun... still, your VDay was better than mime... I'll spare you the details...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate chatter at movies! i actually plan to go to the movies when there is the least amount of people!! haha!

    i always kill time by "shopping" but its so boring cause i have no money to spend. and thats no fun! hahah!

    ReplyDelete